Baptist and Reflector
The Baptist Healthcare System of East Tennessee (BHSET) was begun by Tennessee Baptists soon after the end of World War II. More than $2 million was contributed by 800 churches in 32 counties of East Tennessee. The hospital began service on Nov. 30, 1949.
In 2007, BHSET negotiated a merger with St. Mary’s Hospital in Knoxville, in which both entities would be under the control of Catholic Health Partners, Inc. In order to memorialize the contribution of the Tennessee Baptist Convention to the Healthcare System over the years, the merger agreement provided a total of $2 million to the Executive Board of the Tennessee Baptist Convention (now Tennessee Baptist Mission Board) to be used to support medical missions. Several criteria have been developed by the Tennessee Baptist Mission Board for allocating grants.
The deadline for grant proposals is May 4. Applications for and more information on the grants can be found on the TBC website here, on the Compassion Ministries page. The form can be completed and mailed to: Baptist Hospital of East TN Medical Mission Fun, c/o Carrie Kidd, Tennessee Baptist Mission Board, P.O. Box 11028, Knoxville, TN, 37939.