By Baptist and Reflector
BRENTWOOD — Applications are now being received for grants from the Baptist Hospital of East Tennessee Medical Missions Fund.
The Baptist Healthcare System of East Tennessee was begun by Tennessee Baptists soon after the end of World War II. More than $2 million was contributed by 800 churches in 32 counties of East Tennessee. The hospital began service on Nov. 30, 1949.
In 2007, BHSET negotiated a merger with St. Mary’s Hospital in Knoxville in which both entities would be under control of Catholic Health Partners, Inc. In order to memorialize the contribution of the TBC to the healthcare system over the years, the merger agreement provided a total of $2 million to the TBC Executive Board to be used to support medical missions. Several criteria have been developed by the Executive Board for allocating grants.
Request for grants should:
• Propose innovative or creative ministries that will foster significant results from a moderate grant;
• Emphasize the healing ministry of Jesus as the Great Physician;
• Demonstrate a strong commitment from the church for the ministry, both financially and from personal involvement of members;
• Demonstrate the broadest possible impact on the community;
• Demonstrate long-term strategic vision and goals;
• Include the strategic building of relationships for the cause of Christ.
One-year grants will be made to cooperating TBC churches and affiliated Baptist associations, located within the East Grand Region of Tennessee as assistance with medical missions and ministries, according to committee guidelines.
Grants are to be used only for purchase of medicine, medical supplies, and medical equipment. Guidelines also state that grant money is not to be used for travel expenses, administrative compensation, or basic operating expenses.
The guidelines also note that under special circumstances grants may be used by recipients directly involved with international medical missions activities.
The deadline for grant proposals is May 1. Applications for the grants can be found on the TBC website at www.tnbaptist.org under the Missions/Ministry page.
The form can be completed and mailed to: Baptist Hospital of East Tennessee Medical Mission Fund; c/o Carrie Smith, Tennessee Baptist Convention, P.O. Box 11028, Knoxville, TN 37939.