SARALAND, Ala. — Farmersville, Texas, pastor Bart Barber will serve as chair for the 2022 Committee on Resolutions at the annual meeting in Anaheim, Southern Baptist Convention president Ed Litton announced Feb. 14.
Barber, who will celebrate 23 years at First Baptist Church in Farmersville in July, served on the committee last year alongside Dana McCain, a member of First Baptist Church in Dothan, Ala., who will be vice chair.
Two Tennessee Baptists were chosen to serve on the committee — Julio Arriola director, Send Network SBTC and a member of Thompson Station Church, Thompson’s Station, and Donna Gaines a member of Bellevue Baptist Church, Cordova.
According to Bylaw 20, the procedure for submitting resolutions is as follows:
1. Proposed resolutions may be submitted as early as April 15 but no later than 15 days prior to the SBC annual meeting, giving the Resolutions Committee a two-week period in which to consider submissions. The committee also may propose resolutions for consideration during its deliberations. Resolutions may not be submitted during the annual meeting.
2. Proposed resolutions must be accompanied by a letter from a church qualified to send a messenger to the SBC annual meeting certifying that the individual submitting the resolution is a member in good standing.
3. Proposed resolutions preferably should be submitted by e-mail or mailed to the Committee on Resolutions in care of the SBC Executive Committee, 901 Commerce St., Nashville, TN 37203. The drafts must be typewritten, titled, dated and include complete contact information for the person and his or her church.
4. No person will be allowed to submit more than three resolutions per year.
5. If a properly submitted resolution is not forwarded by the Committee on Resolutions to the SBC annual meeting, a two-thirds vote of messengers would be required to bring the proposed resolution to the convention floor. B&R